Sewing when other people are awake, has also meant that "sewing with friends" is a possibility.
Factory Dress Play-date...
My love affair with Merchant and Mills continues, so when a friend saw my 'trial balloon' of the Factory Dress and fell in love too, it was a perfect sew together opportunity. I had sewn up the pattern last fall to see if the shoulders and neckline were going to work for me. I made up just the top part of the dress and ended up loving it as a linen T-shirt! Our plan was to each make the actual dress version.
Just to make sure we had enough of a challenge, my friend chose a lovely soft linen, with a one directional plaid!!! We spent a huge amount of time with the layout and cutting, which made all the difference in the end. It's kind of like painting a room, the prep work takes 10 times longer than the actually painting. The fabric was a perfect choice for the pattern and the effort to match the plaid really paid off.
My fabric pick was a linen drapery fabric that I came across on a recent trip to Vogue Fabrics in Chicago. I have been waiting for just the right fabric for the Factory Dress pattern and this was it! It has enough body to hold up to the rolled sleeves and crisp collar, but still soft enough for the generous skirt. If it didn't have in-seam pockets, I probably would have run in the side seams a bit, but that seemed like way too much work at the end of our Factory Dress day. I slept on it and decided to pull in a bit of fullness at the waist by adding a little belt at the back. I think I like it better than if I had actually taken in the sides. If it ever gets to be summer here, I think this will be one of my go-to garments.
On the same Chicago outing, I had found a piece of linen that I thought would work for another Merchant and Mills pattern that I have been wanting to try. After our Factory Dress day I was on a roll and went ahead and made up the Ottoline Jacket. It is designed with denim in mind so the heavier weight linen worked really well. Another winner!
A few weeks ago I worked out a pattern for a sweatshirt that I wrote about here. The sleeves of the shirt have a generously cut armhole that is offset at the underarm. Somewhere between a set-in and raglan sleeve. I have a friend who has had her shoulder replaced and finds it difficult to get in and out of shirts that are too close at the underarm. I thought she would really like this sweatshirt. Yep! It worked well for her....so another sew together opportunity was born.
We spent the day fitting the pattern and putting together a really cute navy and white striped version...which I totally forgot to get a picture of!!! Never fear...my friend was so pleased with the pattern that she went home and whipped up a second one. (she is really, really fast!) Her version has a darling stand up collar with a drawstring and a front pocket. She remembered to take a photo.
Sewing is so often a solitary activity. I love it when sew together opportunities arise. I am so grateful that I have friends who are willing to share their creativity with me. I can't wait for my next play-date.