The fabric had been residing in my stash for quite some time It was a piece of wool jersey that I had intended for a much larger project, but when I pre-washed it, it did as wool is want to do and, I ended up with a significantly smaller hunk-o-wool. On to "Plan B."
What you see on the dress form is the entire piece of fabric, pleated and gathered to look more or less like a vest. The obvious problem being...no armholes!
There! That's better!
I love the weight of partially felted wool jersey and it is so moldable! Most of the shaping is done with a good head of steam from my iron. The edges and selveges felt and curl into wonderfully organic shapes that must end up as a feature on the finished product!
I used my sewing machine in two spots.
To stabilize the gathering at the neckline and form the loose ruffle for the collar, I stitched a length of grosgrain ribbon to the underside (which is the outside) of the neck.
I also ran a stabilizing row of straight stitch around each armhole before I cut them out. I didn't want the gathering at the top of the shoulder to open up too much when I released the armhole. The stitching is about 1/8th of an inch from the raw edge.
The darts are all sewn by hand with button weight thread.
I haven't decided what, if anything, I want to do about a closure. I have several lovely button options, which would require some sort of buttonholes...I think it works fine with no closing devices...I could use a pin or shawl pin, which means I could change it up...still pondering.
The scarf is an 'infinity scarf' made from a wonderful piece of Malaysian silk that is printed in 4 yard panels to be used for their traditional tunic and wrap garments. Some of the print is a border and some of it is for the center design of the tunic...very interesting fabrics. And gorgeous!
I considered a couple of pockets out of my armhole leftovers, but couldn't figure out where to put them. I guess they will get saved for another project!