3.23.2018

Down Dog Dress


I have been working on a project for the last year that was supposed to be wrapped up this past week.  Putting the finishing touches together has been consuming my time for the past several weeks and I was so glad that it would be off my 'to do' list.  But...it is still going on and I am a bit weary. (OK...really, really weary with a dose of frustration!) ...and haven't had time to do any sewing.  Which of course is a second dose of frustration!

Just before things heated up, I had made a new dress.  It is supposed to be my yoga dress, but I haven't had time to even go to a yoga class since I made it.  

It started because I don't like wearing just my yoga pants and a top around town to and from class...I know it is fashionable, but my yoga pants are very comfortable (aka old and getting older) and not really in the fashionable category any longer.  You might be asking...why don't you just get a new pair of pants?!  Definitely a good thought, but there is still the problem of feeling like I am walking about with my tights on that makes me feel as if I've forgotten something...like a skirt!!!  

I had seen a tunic/dress made out of a cozy knit with a nice drapy collar that I thought would be nice to just throw over my exercise clothes and go.  So that is how I ended up with my new yoga dress...which has yet to see the inside of a yoga studio!


The front seam is a bit to the right of center, curving down across the front from the deep U-neckline into the stepped hem.  The collar is a big rectangle that is sewn between a 'dickie' that fills the neckline, and the dress.  I flipped the fabric to the other side so the inset is black.  Since the collar is a single layer with a raw edge, you see both the gray side and the black side of the fabric as it drapes around the neck.  I have big scoopy in-seam pockets and sleeves that I can pull down to keep my hands warm.  The fabric is a cotton/poly textured knit a little heavier than a t-shirt, with a lot of nice drape to it.  


...so until I have the chance to get to my next 'down dog' session...it makes a very comfortable 'walking the dog' dress as well!  Namaste!

6 comments:

  1. That is just a great dress. GREAT! Maybe it's time to start publishing your patterns à la Handmade by Carolyn. I love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind thought. No promises, but never say never, right?

      Delete
  2. Very fashionable! Lovin' that collar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I started with some fairly complicated ideas about how to do it...in the end it is literally a big o' rectangle! Knit fabric is so accommodating.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. So do I!! It's going to be great for just throwing on. Thanks.

      Delete