5.29.2019

What's Old is New Again

I have been sewing...really....I just haven't been wearing anything that I've made because it has been so doggone cold this spring.  Every time we get a warmish day I think this is when I can put the sweaters away and get out my summery shirts and dresses, but then my plans are dashed...back to 50 degrees and rain.  That's it, I am going to share a couple of very summery tops that I have made and am dying to wear, somewhere!  (for now they have only been tried on in my sewing room.)

The story of these tops starts some time last fall when I had a major clean out of my drawers (dresser drawers 😉).  I had a biggo pile of scarves that had been collecting for quite a while.  There were several that I don't remember ever wearing!  Yikes!  I sorted and returned the current crop to the drawer, but had some really nice scarves that I wasn't wearing but wasn't ready to abandon quite yet.  They were out of the drawer but have been languishing on the edge of my sewing room table.  I decided there were a few that would be large enough to make into summer tops.

The first scarf I chose was a gorgeous grey silk chiffon and silk charmeuse combo.  I cut a chunk out of the middle and used the borders as they came to make a simple square tunic top.  It feels very luxurious and elegant.  We have season tickets to our local summer stock theater, this will be perfect!  I can't wait.


          

The second scarf was a very loosely woven rayon and cotton blend, with a bright "flame" pattern woven into it.  I tried the stripes both horizontally and vertically but didn't get very excited until I tried a biased layout.  The scarf was less than 20 inches wide so I had to get pretty creative with my cutting.  I also knew that it would drive me crazy if the bright orange, yellow and pink stripes didn't match.  It was definitely an eke it out project.  



The finished top is very light and drapey and will be excellent if and when we get our normal sweltering days in August.  Right now a little 'sweltering' doesn't sound half bad!

I still have a few scarves with plenty of potential.  It's fun to find ways to repurpose them and create things that will actually come out of the drawer.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful tops, what a clever idea to repurpose scarves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love both of these tops from scarves. How inspiring! I too have a drawer full of unused scarves. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a lot of yardage to work with, but if you pick the right top and scarf it's really fun. Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. I have some scarves I want to use for something else. Like your tops. One of mine is enough that I want to make a skirt.Some day we will have warmer weather and less rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a skirt would be great....particularly since so many scarves are border prints! I'm thinking a cute pair of rubber boots might make the rain more tolerable ;)

      Delete