10.08.2020

An "Ouch" Pouch

 I saw something recently on Pinterest or Insta-thing or somewhere, and thought it would be a simple, fun little project.  Take part of an afternoon.  Something different than clothing, a bit of a distraction...And it was.  All of that!  Except the 'simple' part!  I said bad words.  And broke fingernails.  And sewing machine needles.  It looked so innocent in the picture.

...isn't it cute?!  A little "back-to-school" pencil case.  Adorable!


I like to use lots of different colored pens and pencils when I write in my journal.  It reminds me of being a kid with a new box of crayons.  I have tried lots of carrying ideas for my stash of writing implements but haven't loved any of them.  This one folds into a tidy pouch about the same size as my journal and keeps everything neat in little inside pockets.  OK!  

There were lots of different patterns, and tutorials and instructions for this particular pencil tote.  I eventually landed on one that I found at a website called "Ikatbag"  Here is the link.  I checked my stash and had all the right stuff.  Even the squishy, car headliner fabric that I had gotten for another innocent looking tote project!  (Maybe I should have been clued in at that point, but no....)

If the material list didn't put me off, maybe I should have paid a bit more attention to the note from the author of the pattern and instructions (which by the way are very good!)...

"Don't be discouraged if you don't find this pouch as easy to make as it might appear, okay? While I wouldn't for a moment consider it difficult (you can make one in a day or less), I'll be honest: it nonetheless IS fiddly. I mean, it's a 3D structure that has a lot of curves in places that are inconvenient, and it's stiff in other places that make it unwieldy to handle. And it has a zipper which, for some people, translates to Ew, Let's Just Give Up Now. I also know that some of you have been waiting for these templates so you can mass-produce them for all your kids' friends, classmates and neighbors. Bravo - mass-producing rocks. However, I'd suggest you try ONE marker pouch before committing to making a hundred. Just thought I'd set the appropriate expectations, in the hope that it will help you guys persevere if you hit a snag or two. You can do it! Many of us have already done it, and are sharing testimonies of how they're still alive after. So don't give up! I think you'll love the outcome."

And, NO, I will not be making a hundred of these as stocking stuffers!

Lest I completely put you off making one of these handy little items, it is doable.  But like she says in her note, it's fiddly and there are a whole bunch of layers to stitch through at certain points. (see needle breakage note.)  I forged ahead, that, "part of an afternoon," turned into the whole dang day!  But I got through it and actually really like my little pencil pouch!  I think the struggle makes it that much more lovable.  Anyway.. I now can tote my plethora of pretty pencils and pens in a perky pouch!






It seems strange that I will geek out on a oiled canvas raincoat with crazy complicated hardware and not think twice about it, or a backpack with a bazillion fiddly pockets...but put a cute little pencil case in front of me and, "boing" I'm a basket case!  I guess everyone has their flavor of challenge.  For now...I'm glad I tried it...and I'm glad it's done! 👍







8 comments:

  1. Kudos for rocking this challenge!! Ikatbag used to offer these fir sale through her store, along with other goodies, so if anyone falls in love with the design is does have to stay unrequited. Maybe? Can’t wait to see where you put your energies next- it is a great ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bag part isn't too crazy, it's the stiffening stuff that makes it a challenge. I might try one without the stiff stuff.

      Delete
  2. I think sometimes our downfall is in the thinking it is quick and easy. The bag looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. IkatBag is a genius for creating this pattern, and you are not far behind in creating such a lovely version. I put all the instructions and illustrations in a Word file (after much adjustment to make everything fit) and hope to make such a bag soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The instructions are very good. And the "expectation setting" notes are spot on! Have fun!

      Delete
  4. I just received a book I ordered from Amazon. It came in a plastic, not-quite-bubble wrap envelope. Do you think that material would work for this pouch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...not sure...I used a really stiff plastic placemat for the bottom half that helps it stand up and the car headliner stuff for the body of the pouch. The author suggests things that can be folded and still hold their shape pretty well. I'd say it would be worth a try.

      Delete