12.05.2016

Mental Health...Sewing Optional!

Everyone should have a "Therapy Group."  


This of course is my humble opinion based only on my experience, results may vary, take with a grain of salt, mileage may vary.....BUT, get yourself one!  Really!



Mine started about a decade ago as a neighborhood group of the ASG (American Sewing Guild).  We started with the purpose of sharing our adventures in clothing construction and fitting. As our vintages have been improving, we have discovered that we have to keep learning new lessons in "loving and fitting the bodies we are in now!"  

We have spent innumerable hours on 'low bust adjustments' ... 'sloping shoulders' ...  'pokey out tummies' ... 'flat derrieres' ...and the most illusive of all... 'the dreaded crotch curve!!!!!'  We have also welcomed grand-babies, down-sized, grieved the loss of friends and partners, survived illness and injury, celebrated milestones of all kinds and LAUGHED!  Really laughed, the kind of belly shaking, tear inducing, 'panty-changing' stuff that makes everything seem perfect.  This amazing group of sewing friends has been gathering pretty much monthly for more than 10 years. 



We have been celebrating the holidays for many years with a dinner outing to a local restaurant.  We eat too much, have some wine and wear our sparkly stuff.  This year we decided on a Sunday lunch.  Finding a venue proved to be more of a challenge than fitting a crotch curve...who knew!  So, I invited the group to gather at my house and I got to plan and fix a schmancy lunch for everyone!  It was really fun!

I didn't start out with a French theme, but all of my favorite recipes right now seemed to be rather French-ish.  We had Boursin and buttered radishes with Kir Royals to start, followed by Tomato Basil soup, salad and Roasted Squash galette, accompanied by Pinot Gris and finished up with almond cake and chocolate truffles. 




We squeezed all of us around my table, it was cozy, but so nice to all be together.  I made table decorations out of pattern paper, tore up cotton muslin for napkins and everyone got a pattern paper origami star to take home for their tree.  I was just cooking and crafting and smiling for days!

I can't express how deeply grounding this group has been for me.  I don't even think I want to try and figure it out...I just know that it makes sense in my life and am filled with gratitude for the friendships and love ...and a great fitting crotch curve!  XOXOXX




9 comments:

  1. What a great story. I yearn for such a group...you know, the "loneliness of the long-distance sewer"!
    Your table looks beautiful and the menu sounds delish!
    Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been an absolute pleasure to share the past decade with you -- and all the crotch curves along the way! Thank you for the sewing inspiration, laughter, joy -- and chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing your home venue is a beautiful gift just like the beautiful group of women you are and I miss everyone. Wish I could have come before I left. Marry Christmas. XXOOXX Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had my fingers crossed (just a little) that you wouldn't be able to leave before our gathering, but I am so happy that you are settling in and liking your adventure. We miss you but know that you are on the right track!

      Delete
  4. Seeing how you created a beautiful environment for a group of very beautiful women inside and out makes me miss you all very much. Wish I could have been there before I left. Merry Christmas. XXOOXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Miss Trial Balloon - would you send me the info of where you got your instruction for the star. I would like to do it with a student. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ask Mr. Google to find You Tube videos of "origami 5 point star" you should get a whole slew of them. I had to watch several times!

      Delete