8.17.2017

Key West Dreamin'

When I was in Key West earlier this year I packed very lightly.  I literally had 2 t-shirts for the whole month.  One to wear, one to wash!  It was really rather freeing to not have to decide what to wear.  I just put on the clean shirt everyday.  I know it is way early to be thinking about packing for January, but the weather is starting to feel a bit fall-ish and as I was gathering up my summer project pile and putting away the fabrics that didn't quite make it to the sewing machine this summer, I decided that if I wanted new t-shirts in Key West this winter, I could make them now and still get a few weeks of wearing before the weather turns.  (I know, weird, but that's where my brain went!)  

So...new stuff for Key West...

Having only a few things means that they need to work hard and work well together, so I started with a fun tropical print to set the color palette.  Gray and aqua.  I made four pieces and we'll see which ones end up in the suitcase.  It's nice to have a bit of a try-out period.

1.  Fun tropical Hawaiian shirt.

I used my tried and true camp shirt pattern to make an oversized Hawaiian style shirt.  The fabric is a cotton and rayon blend that feels very tropical.



2.  Comfy T-shirt Dress

I worked on this pattern last summer for a t-shirt style dress but never got around to making it. I kept nipping it in as I was putting it together and I think it might still be a bit too big.  The fabric is also quite soft, it feels really lovely, but I'm afraid that it may stretch out a bit too much.  I may need to take another whack at it before I decide if it makes the Key West cut.   Right now it is not an unqualified success.  (I do like the pockets!)



3.  Striped Linen T

One of my two shirts from last year was a gray linen jersey t-shirt.  I really loved it!  The linen jersey was soooo comfortable and dried much more quickly than cotton jersey...important when you only have two shirts!  I found this cute linen jersey stripe to make a new version.   Even though it was quite challenging fabric to work with, I like the way it turned out.


4.  Cropped French Terry Sweatshirt

I am hoping that I won't have to wear this one too often, but it is January...even in Key West!
A gray sweatshirt seemed kind of boring (practical, but boring!) so I put it together with the seams to the outside and stitched down the raw edges.  I think they will fray nicely as I wear it and give it a bit of character!


I'll give these pieces a 'test-drive' for the last weeks of the summer and see it I think they can handle the rigors of the Key West adventure.  Only a very few get to make the trip!

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful as always, Becky, and inspiring. The sweatshirt is nice...hope you get to test that one soon. All of your garments are fun to see...do you deliberately create opportunities for problem-solving?? As in having limited yardage? It works so well for you, and we can learn from your example...Ms. Sewphie, my continuing education leader...😍😍😍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if it's deliberate, but you are so right about loving a problem-solving-opportunity! (cuz' goodness knows I don't need the clothes!😝)
    Always your servant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fabric you choose are all pretty nice, I'd say. Anything with rayon is quite comfortable – my fave, actually. And glad to hear that the linen knit was also comfortable. The linen knits I've encountered, have been kind of scratchy even though they're quite lightweight.
    Also love the French Terry sweatshirt – it's got great style and looks super comfortable and cozy. Sometimes you just need cozy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am all over 'nice fabrics,' and have given myself permission (as Diane Ericson says) to use the good stuff! I don't get enough sewing time to spend it with crumby fabric! It's part of the fun for me!
      I always wash my linens several times before I use them. They really change and soften quite a bit with washing.

      Delete
  4. I like the pockets on that t shirt dress too. If it doesn't make the grade maybe you should make it up again in another fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like the shoulder area is too roomy...which is usually not a problem, being a person with ample shoulders I often need to add room there! Engineering a pattern is a process, so I will keep working it. I am certainly going to find a place to use the pocket idea again!

      Delete