4.26.2018

Buggin' Out



It is slowly starting to be spring like...it has been a very long drawn out winter which may be part of why I am 'sick and tired!

I have been struggling with an 'end of winter' bug.  It doesn't seem to want to move on and I am really for it to clear out!  I have so many fun projects that I want to get to, but have no energy to tackle them.  

I did want to support my local ASG chapter (that's American Sewing Guild!) so I rallied for a few hours over the weekend to create a few pieces for a special competition.

The deal is, the National ASG organization sponsored a competition to create a fabric featuring the ASG logo.  The second part of the challenge is for local ASG members to use the fabric to create whatever they want, and the guild who sends in the most items based on how many members you have, is the winner.  The prize is that National ASG will send a national sewing educator to your local guild to do a program!  Kind of a cool deal for our little chapter.  I wanted to help boost our chances, so I took my 1/2 yard of logo fabric and tried to get as many things as possible!  I still have a tiny piece left, but I think I stretched it about as far as I could.  Here are my pieces....



These little pouches are made with Lazy Girl Patterns' Sweetpea Pods pattern.  They are great or little things that always end up in the bottom of your pocketbook!




I made one of my little earring envelopes for traveling.  The logo fit just right.


I used another Lazy Girl Pattern, The Becca Bag for this piece.  I love these for collecting my projects.  I have several with my 'in progress' knitting that I take on my trips.


This is my own pattern.  I think it will be great for sewing retreats, but would also be a good toiletry bag for traveling.  I like the clear pockets.



I couldn't not make some kind of garment... I used my favorite woven T-shirt pattern to make this color blocked shirt.  I wasn't sure when I was making it if I would actually want to wear it, but it turned out pretty cute.  The blue is so not in my normal color palette, so I'm not sure what I will wear with it....we'll see.


I think this may be my favorite little piece.  So simple and yet so useful!  I'd make a bunch more, but it was actually kind of a lot of work!!!!


...And finally....another useful item....

So there you have it!  My 1/2 yard of ASG logo fabric.  It would be really fun to win, but even so, it was a nice distraction from my 'ugly bug' and I have several things that I think will actually be used.  Already a winner!






9 comments:

  1. You are AMAZING. What a lot of mileage you got from a small piece of yardage. I bet you had a lot of fun doing it too. Hope you win. The bug is over here on the West Coast too. Very debilitating and maddening. However the sun is shining, the air is getting warm and I hope this will help to banish the bad bugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard what other people are doing, but I know there is more yardage circulating...fingers crossed! I am definitely on the 'banish the bug' program!!!!

      Delete
  2. Great job! And what is the pattern that you made your top from? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a woven T-shirt pattern that I have bee using and tweeking for years. It probably started as a commercial pattern at some point but I'm not even sure about that. I often take patterns from garments that I like. Sorry I can't help more. It is a very simple, boxy top.

      Delete
    2. ...so I felt bad about not really having much pattern help...I perused the pattern books and I think Butterick 5948 https://butterick.mccall.com/b5948
      would be a great starting point for a woven T-shirt pattern. It has several sleeve options and necklines and looks to have enough ease without being too oversized. Make a trial balloon and see what you think. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE that top. You must have a pair of gray pants that you can wear it with. Each and every item you made is so useful and a great use of the fabric. Wish I could vote, you'd win!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the very least I can wear it with my jeans. I had fun figuring out all the different little projects, I hope my other ASG cohorts have some fun too, it would be fun to win!

      Delete
  4. They are all great projects. The top is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure about it, but the more I played with it the more it grew on me! The linen and silk fabrics make it feel much more luxurious than it looks!!

      Delete