3.16.2020

Sew British





What a wild winter this has been!  

I'll start with the elephant in the room...like most people I am trying to stay positive and calm amidst the crazy media circus, and most days I do OK.  But I have to admit to more than a few freak out moments, and terribly sad moments, and I'm learning to "social distance" (is that a verb?) and trying to understand the whole toilet paper hoarding thing (????), and how to live in a constant state of worry about the people I love.  On my best days I know we will get to a 'new normal' at some point and life will continue, on my worst days, I melt into a puddle of despair.  

I've been thinking that writing about my sewing adventures seems a bit trivial in our current world.  Then I realized that I have been gobbling up the other sewing blogs that I read.  I am desperate for the connection they provide.  Hearing about how other sewing folks are using their hobby to bring a sense of normalcy has been very reassuring.  So I write this today hoping that as you read it you are doing everything to keep yourself safe and your spirits lifted.  And maybe my sewing stories will be a bit of a break from the heaviness that surrounds us right now.

So, with that said....
What have I been up to on the sewing front? 

I mentioned in my last post that I have been working hard to create some pieces that will be part of a Threads Magazine story sometime in the fall.  I really enjoy doing these because they are usually a bit out of my normal sewing.  There is of course a theme involved and there are often a few garments, each with a little bit different take on the theme.  I sent them off for their photo shoot last week so now I will wait to be surprised.  It's fun to see the models and how the editors style the clothes.

I wanted to get the Threads garments finished before I headed to Britain at the end of February.  My oldest son, who lives in London, was having a major birthday (the kind that end in zero!) and I also, finally got myself signed up for a week long workshop at my latest crush, Merchant and Mills!  I have been trying to sign up for one since I visited in the fall of 2018.  They only have 6 spots per class and they seem to fill up instantly!  I managed to get into a 5 day session the first week of March.


It seems fitting that I started my magical week in Rye at St. Pancras Station in London.  You may know it from Harry Potter fame as the home of Platform 9 3/4.  It was quite spectacular to see it under the full moon!  The high-speed train swept me south to Rye in just over an hour.  Such an easy trip.


The workshop included accommodations for all 5 of us (our 6th person was unable to join us because her company had already imposed a travel ban at the beginning of March) in a lovely converted fire station just across the street from the Merchant and Mills shop.  The outside still has a very 'firehouse' facade, but the inside has been turned into a comfortable modern retreat.



We had use of the wonderfully equipped kitchen and a cozy fireplace as well as our own bedrooms and baths.  It was so nice to end our busy days in such a comfortable space.


Each bed had a lovely package of goodies waiting for us when we arrived...

          

Merchant and Mills offers several different classes, workshops and retreats.  Some focus on a particular pattern or a technique, the one that I attended was a 'retreat' and each of us got to choose what we wanted to work on during the week.  I think choosing was the hardest part of the whole week!

Each morning we rolled out of our 'firehouse' and across the street to the Merchant and Mills shop and studios...


We could literally choose any of the patterns and any of the amazing fabrics....

          

There was plenty of space and light in our loft studio....


Our fearless leaders for the week, Katie and Chrissy had so much talent and huge experience with Merchant and Mills and they couldn't have been nicer people!  They helped us make fabric and pattern choices and guided us through every step of our projects....which meant they shepherded 12 different "makes." (that's Merchant and Mills speak for "projects.")  Very impressive.


Each day we gathered around the dining table at the end of the studio for an excellent locally prepared lunch.  (i.e.  someone else cooked and all we had to do was eat!)  Oh, and I have decided that the next addition to my sewing room is going to be a lovely person who will ask me every couple of hours if I would like a "nice cup of tea."


By the end of the week we all had three or four 'makes' under our belts, along with the delicious lunches and afternoon cake with our tea.  Everyone made pieces that totally reflected their style and everything fit beautifully thanks to our wonderful teachers.

As I stood on the platform, over looking the adorable town of Rye, waiting for my train back to London, I couldn't believe the week was over.  It really did feel like I was in a magical, very British, dream!


Bye Rye....for now!












4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a lovely time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did. I was thinking today, "What a difference a week makes." I'm really glad I had the chance to do it before everything went sideways. Not sure when we'll have the chance to gather like that again. It makes me sad.

      Delete
  2. Becky I would be glad to share your sewing room and offer you tea every couple of hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet! It really was pretty cool to have a hot cup of tea all the time. I have a cup of tea, but it's only hot for the first 1/2 hour and then I have "iced" tea.

      Delete