Usually when I get home from a workshop I unpack and put everything away and promise to get back to it soon. Of course, life happens and some time in the distant future I come across the samples or the half finished project and maybe I pick it up again. It wasn't planned, duh, but as soon as I returned from my week in Rye we were asked to hunker down. So, there I was with a pile of new patterns, a box full of luscious fabrics and all the time in world! Shall we call it a bit of a silver lining?
It has been very nice to have the time to explore the Merchant and Mills portfolio. I have been loving their design aesthetic and their silhouettes for awhile now and over the past several months I have tried several of the patterns. Some I had already been working with and others were all new. There was one jacket pattern that I wanted to give a try and decided to make it in something bright and springy.
You may remember from the last post that I have been supporting our online fabric retailers...when I ordered the happy tropical print from Marcy Tilton's site, I just couldn't resist a piece of teal colored linen as well as a floral print rayon. I wasn't sure from the website if they would actually go together, but when they arrived they were perfect.
Merchant and Mills Haremere Jacket here we go!
The pattern for the jacket I wanted to try is included in the "Workbook."
There are a whole group of patterns that are part of the "All Season Wardrobe." The pattern pieces are included along with wonderfully detailed instructions. The Haremere is a jacket that gets its inspiration from menswear, but has some nicely done details that give it a softer, more feminine shape. I was a bit nervous about the dropped shoulder since my shoulders are broad and I have learned that most patterns do not accommodate my generous shoulder proportions. I did have to adjust the pattern, but ever so slightly, to get it to fit gracefully over my shoulders. I was on a roll while I was working on it and completely forgot to take any in progress photos, so let's just say everything went swimmingly and here are some finished garment pics!
I had enough of the teal linen to make a pair of Closet Case Pietra Shorts (another pattern I have been wanting to try.) Again, no progress shots....
And finally, I used a self drafted bias cut tank top for the rayon print.
I am very pleased with all three pieces. I may not wear them all together, but I think they will work with several other things I have in my closet. Always a bonus!
It actually was raining when I took the pictures, the wellies and the umbrella are necessary, not just for the photos!
The inside has a lot of great tailoring details and I used a piece of tie silk for the lining and seam finishes. The pattern does not call for Hong Kong seam finishing, but hey, when you have pink silk...
The shorts have great front pockets and the instructions for the elastic in the back waist are excellent.
I said I had enough for the shorts...let me correct that to, I had enough for the "outside" of the shorts! I had to get a bit creative on the inside.
The seam across the bust of the top conceals a bust dart and the bias helps create enough stretch so that it fits close but doesn't need a zipper. I have a couple of these tops and love how easy they are to wear.
So far the Merchant and Mills patterns that I have tried have delivered. It is so great when the idea in my head actually works out on the cutting table! I still have a few more to try....