10.21.2020

Win-win...but not Winter!

I love fall!  I love the cool, crisp air.  I love watching the colors move through their journey from green to yellow and gold, to crimson and rust.  I love the soups and spices that happen this time of year.  The only part that I don't love is knowing that for the next several months I will be battling icy sidewalks, snowdrifts, power outages and arctic windchills.  I know some people love the snow, but as my healing time has lengthened, I am much more worried about tumbling than I used to be.  Cold and snow are parts of the Michigan seasons that I will be glad to watch from a distance.  But for now, I am loving the weather!

Having lived with four seasons all my life, I can't quite wrap my little brain around 'no cold.'  I have been making a new summer wardrobe to have in my new place, but this time of year I am just itching to break out the wool!  To quell the urge I hauled out a cotton jersey that has a mock quilting pattern.  It's kind of a mateliasse kind of thing.  It looks warmer than it is.  I thought it would make a great sweatshirt for the few cool nights that might crop up.  But I didn't want a plain 'ol sweatshirt...I wanted a more 'designery' sweatshirt.  I did some trolling around on Pinterest (you can see some of my finds to the right ->) to see what kind of details might up the cache of my sweatshirt.


I settled on a cropped style with some kind of gathered hem.  As a starting point, I pulled out my tried and true Tabula Rasa pattern.  As I have said before, it seems to cover a huge range of styles and I know it will fit the way I like when I'm finished.  I cut out the main pieces and left them long while I pondered how to finish the hem.  This is just the kind of project I love.  No definite plan, just a sketchy idea and a few detail options to get me going.  I can always hear Diane Ericson in my head, "do the part you know!"

This is also the kind of project that I get caught up in and forget about taking photos of the process.  Ooops! 

I wanted those Kangaroo pouchy front pockets that you get on sweatshirts, but a bit more 'elegant.'  (If "elegant" is a word that you can use to describe a sweatshirt?!)  Tabula Rasa side seams are the perfect place to set in pockets and I decided to line the shirt with a very light weight bamboo knit which meant I could use it for the inside of my pockets by just stitching through from the front.  The seams of the pattern are forward from the actual side of the body so the pocket placement is really ideal for getting your hands in and out easily.



I used the side panel underarm seam as my guide and extended my topstitching to complete the pocket bag.  A little hard to see with all the quilting lines...



I cropped the front and let the back hem hang a bit longer and used the hem allowance to make a casing for a half drawstring across the front.  Again the side seam placement meant the detail was a bit forward which I like.


Serendipity prevailed again when I realized that I could leave the sleeve length and use the lining to make  cuffs.  I love extra long sleeves on cool morning walks to keep my fingers warm!  

One thought that I played with was putting a drawstring at the neck as well.  I made a casing by wrapping a strip of the lining fabric over the neck edge and leaving a 2" space at the center front.  When I got the drawstring in place it was just one thing too many, so I took it out.  When I showed my astute husband my new sweatshirt outfit his comment was, "the neck doesn't look finished."  Rats!  I thought I might be able to sneak it by, but he was right.  He also asked if I was channeling Coco Chanel...?  He thought the short quilted top and the short, straight skirt were very Chanel-esque.  Hmmm...That gave me a new idea for the neckline...thanks Honey!

I created a 1960's-ish collar using a strip of the quilted knit.  Much better.  (and the hubby thought so, too!)

The skirt was a bit of an after thought.  I had exactly a skirt length of fabric left...even the width was right.  I didn't even have to cut anything, just zip up a back seam and put in some elastic.  You can see the wide elastic top in this picture....I was trying to get a twig off the string of lights that hangs over the outside table.  Thanks again Honey!




I really wasn't thinking I was going to end up with a little Chanel Sweat-Suit, but there you go!  It may not make the Paris runways but it is very comfy, cozy and hopefully, a useful wardrobe addition.  AND, a really fun project!  Win-win!












14 comments:

  1. Love this, the styling, and your construction. Your projects always look so well sewn and expensive. Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you! I'll tell my husband...he loves a bargain! Looking expensive and not being expensive will warm his heart! I do love to figure out fussy details! My curse.

      Delete
  2. Love this look. Very elegant and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary! Thanks. I wasn't sure when I started what I was going to end up with, but I'm pleased. And you are right about comfy...with a capital "C"!

      Delete
  3. Love your blog and this outfit! Where can I find matelasse (sp) for apparel not upholstery? Thanks - Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind, thanks. The one in this post is a novelty knit, so not a true matelasse, but has the look. I have found some at Mood Fabrics in NYC. They have a good online store as well. I have also been known to use upholstery weight fabrics for garments from time to time ;) If you get a light weight bedspread it works really well, and they seem to be popular again. (check out my post from 3/10/19 called "Waiting for Spring" I made another sweatshirt with an upholstery matelasse)

      Delete
  4. What a great outfit. Elegant and cozy — a great combination. I love how you adapted the Tabula Rasa. The fabric is gorgeous and I’d like some! Back in the day the Chanel skirts had front seams that would follow the Tabula Rasa seam lines. That’s where she put the skirt pockets, a much more convenient place than in side seams. Very astute of your husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He actually always has honest critiques and I appreciate that, even when it means I have to change something! (most of the time his first comment is that the skirt is too long!)
      I really like the lines of the Tabula Rasa Jacket, they give lots of creative leeway without the garment just being a box.

      Delete
  5. Oh, I may have to copy some of this. I love the great ideas for pockets and drawstring hem. I think I may have a similar, VERY old= pre-this-century, pattern that I've always wanted to use that could work as the starting point. Thanks for the inspiration. I really enjoy your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be honored to have inspired more pockets and drawstrings! Go for it! Glad you enjoy my little adventures.

      Delete
  6. I’m just impressed that your husband knows who Coco Chanel was...letalone whather creations look like. Bravo, Monsieur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy there is no living with him now...you made his day (and mine!)

      Delete