2.06.2021

My Southernmost Sewing Room

 One of the "must haves" that we put on the list for our relator last year when we were looking for a house in Key West was a dedicated space for me to set up a sewing room.  It seemed like a luxury, but I knew that I wouldn't feel at home without somewhere to sew. (My husband was totally on board with this knowing what it is like to live with me without a project to work on!)  As we visited houses, it was clear that this might be a bit tricky to accomplish.  But our relator came through and we ended up with a lovely loft room that is perfect for a sewing space.  Because it has very sloped ceilings it wouldn't work for much else IMHO!  Since arriving in November, I have been collecting furniture and fixtures that fit the space and create a darn tidy sewing room!   Before I could actually move into the space, we had to redo the A/C and do some work on the stairs that access the loft.  (which are outside, how cool is that?) I am very excited that the work has been done and I can move in and sew.

The first thing I wanted to make was an ironing table like the one I have in Michigan.  I can't believe how long it took me to make the first one and now I can't imagine going back to a wobbly folding ironing board.  I did a post about how I made it for Threads Insider.  I'm not sure when they will post it, but it has all the info about how I did it.  I also posted about how I made the first ironing table  Here  The main thing I changed when I made the new one was to get a length of industrial wool felt for the top.  The stuff is 3/4 of an inch thick and OMG does it makes a wonderful ironing pad.  I am in love. 😍



In the picture you can see the iron I brought with me, it has been just fine for years..but...every time I have tried it here it has spit water all over the place!  I hate that!  I have tried all the different types of water, and temperatures, all the iron tricks I know and still water, water everywhere.  Nope, that wasn't going to work.  I just did it!  Got myself a Reliable Professional Steam Station  like I have in Michigan.  Let's call it a Ground Hog's Day present. πŸ˜‰ Isn't she lovely?!

 


My ironing table is made with wire pantry shelving and a piece of MDF board.  Since I had to get 6 foot shelves I had some extra supports...and since MDF comes in 4' X 8' sheets, I had a lot of that left!  I used the shelves as 'legs' for a cutting table.  The left over MDF was a generous 6' X 4' and works just perfectly for a cutting table.  I love a "no waste" project.  After much banging and crashing.... Voila! My cutting table!  With lots of shelves for storage.  She's a beaut!



The reason that we had to redo the A/C was that it had been leaking onto the floor.  When we got here we had this lovely staining and a really warm loft!  😟 The holes above the window are from removing the offending appliance, but what to do about the floor?  Other than the stains the floor was fine and sound, so I decided a rug would be the solution for now.  But a rug in a sewing room, hmmm?  How about a vinyl rug?  Thank you Home Depot!  I got a 12' square of sheet vinyl that is soft under my feet and covers the floor until we decide if a new floor is in the cards.


I wasn't sure if I would go whole hog and get a dress form but after the iron incident I decided I may as well get fully equipped...let's call it a Valentine's Day present! πŸ’–πŸ˜‚ And isn't SHE lovely.  All padded out and ready to go to work!


Sooooo.....Welcome to my new southernmost sewing room!!!!!






  

 

It seems like a long time coming...I have been imagining the space for almost a year and to finally have it ready for a project...Yikes!  The paralysis of the empty page!  I may just sit and soak up the vibes for a bit before I dive into the maiden sew.  



16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! Now I could use some sewing inspiration.

      Delete
  2. How inspiring! Thank you. Could you please share the source for your dress form?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got my dress form from an on line place called Mannequin Mall. I got a Professional dress form. Because I have very broad shoulders I need to pad the form quite liberally across the shoulders and upper back. I make a tube of swim suit lining and pop it over the dress form and stitch shoulder seams. With this in place I can 'stuff' it to the size and shape I want with quilt batting. To hold it all in place I put a 'shapewear' slip on the form. It keeps all the padding in place and gives me a neckline and armhole guide. You can add to a dress form but you can't squeeze it in, so you need to start with a form that matches your smallest measurement. In my case the bust of the size 8 and my bust were good. Other places needed padding. Hope this helps.

      Delete
  3. Looks great. We are cold up here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that, but glad that I can hear about it and not live it! I keep pinching myself!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your fresh new space in your new home. I hope it’s every thing you dreamed of on frigid Michigan nights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been really fun to put it together. Now I need to get inspired to use it!

      Delete
  5. Well done, Becky! That notebook will soon have sketches and plans for projects...we wait for the spark of creativity you share so generously. A blank slate...maybe I should begin by creating that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millie for the encouragement. I am trying to be patient and live into the answers these days...we'll see!

      Delete
  6. Nice work on the new sewing room. As much as I like wood floors, for some reason I like the linoleum rug you put in better. Hope you get inspired about the next project soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I like it too. I was imagining the old hand painted floor mats when I was looking for a design. I didn't have much choice, sheet vinyl isn't that popular anymore, go figure!
      I keep thinking I am not that busy, but somehow the days fill up and I am not used to having a space anymore. I will get there!

      Delete
  7. Love your sewing studio. Did you move permanently to Key West?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Semi permanently. We are the proverbial snow birds now. Half the year in Key West and half the year in Michigan. This is the first year on the program so we'll see how it goes.

      Delete
  8. Your sewing space is wonderful. I'm heading in a similar direction when I retire. Enjoyed your piece online in Threads about the ironing table. Could you tell us which type of industrial felt matting you ordered from The Felt Store? Some are firm, some are soft, and wool content varies. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I chose the firm 3/4 inch thick pad from the roll. I wanted the highest wool content because it holds the steam well.
      It is pricey but worth it!

      Delete