6.26.2021

A New Baby (Lock)

This is a quick round up of a few random projects that I used to christen my new sewing machine!  Yeah!

I have had a Brother sewing machine at our lake house for 12 years.  Because I never did much sewing here it was fine.  But as I started using it with more substantial projects in mind, it just wasn't up to the job.  Last fall I had considered a new machine for Florida, but ended up taking my Janome to have there.  While I was shopping around I realized that I have had 4 different machines over the years with the whole shebang!  Monster embroidery units that I have never even taken out of their boxes!!!!!  I didn't want to do that again.  

My advise to people when they ask me what machine they should buy is always to get what you need and a smidge more to grow into.  Know the dealer.  And know where you will have it serviced.  I finally took my own advice!  I got a really lovely Baby Lock machine...sans embroidery, from the local dealer who has a service department right here!  Isn't she a beaut!


So far I am really, really pleased with my choice.  (Can you see me taking the picture in the side panel😜?)  I have had two different Baby Lock sergers that I have loved so I didn't go in completely blind.  It is very intuitive for the way I sew, so it has been a very smooth transition.  The dealer does have owner classes that I will definitely take to get the bells and whistles figured out.  But the basics have been easy to get used to.  So what have I been practicing on...?

I had a linen bias cut dress that I liked but didn't really wear.  I scrutinized it and realized that the fabric is a bit heavy, it is a decorator print, and the sleeves were just not right.  I decided I could take them out and make the dress cooler to wear and eliminate the whole sleeve issue!  

When I looked at this picture I was horrified!!!  Had I really worn this out in public!?!  The big brown leaf with the spot in the middle in exactly the WRONG place....OMG!  I was about to scrap the whole thing!!!  When I calmed down I realized that my dress form is a bit 'perkier' than I am at this point so when I put the dress on it wasn't as much of an issue.  Whew!


I took the sleeves off...and added a bit of elastic to the back waist seam to pull it in a bit, which gives it a little more definition at the waist.  Much better.  I'm much happier with the dress and think it will come out of the closet this summer, finally.






The second project I tackled was another pair of Merchant and Mills Eve pants.  I love this pattern!  I made them in a mid weight army green linen.  I love linen!  What can I say...they are great!


I do make one major modification to the pattern when I make it...it doesn't have pockets!  What!?  Right?!  So I incorporate slant pockets and hide the opening in the left hand pocket bag.  The original pattern calls for a side seam zipper, but because the opening is hidden in the pocket, I don't even bother with a zipper.  The button at the waistband moves forward a bit and I like making it a bit of a feature.

...And the last little project in this round up is a patchy linen top.  I did mention that I love linen didn't I?
and, yes, I had all these bits and bobs of linen scraps in my stash!  I lined it with a very soft Liberty of London lawn so it is still very light weight.  


...and I love my new buttonhole foot!

Now that I have eased into a few simple projects, I will see if I can get out of second gear over the next month and try out some of the other features of my new Baby...Baby Lock!

8 comments:

  1. You look fantastic - the use of that fabric is perfect and I love how you made it work with (potentially) short yardage. Very inspiring blend of skill and talent!

    Regards,
    Online Dissertation Help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am always working with "too short" yardage! If there is a smidge left I figure I can get something else out of it!

      Delete
  2. Looking great! I agree on the sewing machine advice. I always tell people to find a local dealer. They are worth way more than the money you might save if you buy online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is getting harder to find them, but the good ones are worth it!

      Delete
  3. Great choice! I have a Babylock Aria that I love and Babylock sergers. Can't go wrong with that brand IMO. I have Janome embroidery machine and love that one too. Enjoy your new baby! Great save on the dress and the pant fit is fabulous. Happy summer sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear that you like your machine. I have always been happy with my sergers and did like some of the features of the Brother, it just wasn't sturdy enough for me. The Baby Lock has a lot of the same stuff as the Brother and more! I think I made the right choice!
      The dress turned out better than I thought. I wasn't sure what would happen to the armholes on the bias. I was worried they would get baggy. The linen has enough body even on the bias to hole up. I like it.

      Delete
  4. Your dress is lovely and suits you well. The pants look perfect and are with the addition of pockets. Brava for getting a new machine that you love. Keep us in the loop about it.
    Vancouver Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always so kind...and I do love pockets! Still humming along and enjoying learning fun new stuff about her.

      Delete