7.31.2018

"T" with Friends: A Month of T-Shirts





My sewing room has been more of a parking lot this summer than an actual work space.  I have been traveling a bit and finding treasures along the way that I have been piling up on my work table and that's as far as they seem to get.  But all that is going to change in August! (Yikes!  That's tomorrow!)

A little while ago I asked my friend Rhonda if she would like to collaborate on a project.  She said "YES!"  Rhonda writes a lovely blog about her sewing adventures and other creative pursuits HERE.    I was thinking maybe a post about woven T-shirts, which I have been loving the past few summers... but Rhonda took that thought and ran with it!  She suggested that we do a T-shirt every week in the month of August. 😳 And I said, "YES!" 😳😳 So that's what we will be doing.  (Talk about jump starting my sewing!)  Each week we will create a theme or a challenge for ourselves and share the results with blog posts.  One of the things that I love reading on Rhonda's blog is the weekly recipe that she shares, so our posts will include some favorite tea (get it?) recipes along with our woven "T's".

I met Rhonda several years ago when I was working at the American Sewing Expo in Novi, Michigan.  She participated in the "Passion for Fashion" competition (a Project Runway-esque event) several times and always created the most interesting and beautifully executed garments.  (check out Rhonda's blog for a description of the PFF event)  Since the show is no longer happening, I have been missing my annual opportunity to catch up with Rhonda and so we are doing a 'virtual' catching up with our August T posts.  I am so looking forward to seeing what she comes up with...

I have been loving to make and wear woven t-shirts.  They are comfortable, particularly when they are made with light weight summery fabrics, and they are a perfect blank slate for embellishing.  Sometimes I get carried away and end up with something like this...
(read about it HERE.)

Sometimes it is about one 'exquisite' detail, like this linen T with a rick-rack trim...
(read about this one HERE.)

I enjoy 'dressing up' a T with a collar, or putting the fabric on the bias to change up the way it fits...It is a great garment to play around with and see what happens. (Read about this version HERE.)


....and everyone needs at least one 'plain white T' in their closet!
(read about my favorite HERE.)


I'm not sure what kind of T's will be coming up in the next few weeks, but that is part of the fun!  And, knowing Rhonda, they are certain to be inventive and gorgeous!  I can't wait!

4 comments:

  1. Just read about this project on R's blog. I'm so going to enjoy watching this from afar and hope to get ideas to try out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are along for the ride. Rhonda is a task master...4 weeks, 4 projects, whew!

      Delete
  2. I just found your blog through Rhonda Buss's and I love it! Your aesthetic is right in line with mine and having read back on some posts I can say that your embellishments and out of the box creativity are inspirational. I've signed up to follow and maybe even make a tee! I am getting back into painting fabrics and love wovens so this should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you are enjoying my little adventures. It is fun to have a whole sewing community to tap into on the interweb!

      Delete