6.09.2019

In the Merry Month of "MeMadeMay"

For several years now I have been curious about the May tradition among sewist called "MeMadeMay."   I haven't participated, (it requires advanced skills, like taking selfies!), but I do like the idea of encouraging more garment making.  And it's fun to see how other people are creating and wearing their own wardrobes.

I figured it wouldn't be such a big deal since I make and wear most of my clothing.  I decided I would try it.  Now, I didn't actually post anything anywhere...by 'try it,' I mean that I wore something everyday in May that I had created, and took a selfie to document my progress.   I really didn't think it would be difficult, but it surprised me in several ways.

Here's what I learned in the Merry Month of May!

1.  I am not very good at 'selfie!'
This was not a new discovery.  One of my thoughts about participating in MeMadeMay was that maybe it would help me practice taking selfies and I'd get better at it.  Not so much, as demonstrated by my 31 tries. (and these are the BEST tries!!!! 😝)




2.  Can you say "mud colors?"
After seeing these pictures all together there is no doubt that I have a mud colored palette.  Again, this is not new information, but it was so striking to see it all in one go.  Even looking in my closet really didn't have the same impact.  Not sure how these guys got in there?


3.  May was way too wet and cold!!!!!
Each day I kept thinking that I would be able to get into some of my summery pieces, but then the mercury would plummet and I'd reach for the sweaters and long pants!  By the last few days I did get to wear a few of my lighter weight things, but even then, I was taking off my sweaters to take the pictures and then putting them right back on again!

4.  Pants!  Who knew?
I have made way more of my pants than I realized.  I was quite surprised by how many times the MeMade part of my outfit was the bottoms.  

5.  Not just sewing needles...
I have some favorite knitted pieces.  I have been knitting more in the last several years and have gotten to the point that I will actually wear some of my hand knit pieces out of the house!  One sweater in particular was just the right weight for this blustery May.


6.  I do love me some linen!
Yes I do!  Any weight, bottoms and tops, plain and fancy....if it's linen I'm all in.


7.  ✌
"V" necks seem to be my neckline of choice.  


8.  Accessorize!
There were a few days that the only thing I had made were my accessories.  

Finally....it was tougher than I expected.  So much of what I have in my closet I have made, I was really surprised that I had to think about what to wear each day.  There was one day that I realized that I hadn't worn anything that I created until I got ready for bed...yes, I had made my PJ pants! Whew!

I'm really glad that I tried it.  I do think it has helped me hone in a bit on what I really wear and what types of garments are practical for my life.  There are lots of things that I like to make...but not all of them find their way into my wearing rotation.  I think I might try this again in the fall to see what my wintery preferences are.  It's not necessarily what I thought it would be.

So...what did I wear on the first of June????  My niece got married that day, so party clothes of course! (and that's my handsome son in his party duds!  what fun!) ....and, yes, I did make both my skirt and my top!  Score!










6 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed this post...seeing you in your lovely mud-colored creations. Love that tweedy sweater...I encourage you to do this again...an inspiration and encouragement for those of us who have the fabric, the fiber, and too often leave the plans stored in thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting and not what I expected. I’ve rearranged my to do list in the sewing room. More of what I actually wear!

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed your pictures. The way our weather is going we may be wearing sweaters for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know....I better get some knitting going!!!

      Delete
  3. Encouraging to see real selfies and someone with a similar skill level to myself. I really njoyed seeing your wardrobe in action. Gaining that insight into your wardrobe could almost make the photography worthwhile! Makes the appeal of Me Made May more understandable too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been a bit skeptical about it, but was really surprised by the experience. (Not the selfie part...no surprise there, I still can't take a selfie to save my life!)

      Delete