3.08.2021

Gone Fishin'

 I am quite excited about my white shirt challenge, which is basically an excuse to order up a whole bunch of white fabrics.  I find a lot of inspiration from actually holding and draping the fabric, so until my box-o-yardage arrives I will have to find other projects to keep me entertained.  

When I was at my fabric store hunting up stuff for my first white shirt, I couldn't resist a cotton print that was perfect with a piece of batik that I had hauled with me from Michigan.  I also found a really soft dark chambray that had to go into the backpack as well.  I was on a roll after my shirt so I pulled them out.  I can't remember where or when the fish fabric came into my stash, but it seemed like a good one for KW.  When I saw the greenish one with "water drops" on it, I thought it was meant to be.

I only had a 1/2 yard of the batik and the same of the water drop print, so I needed to pick something that wouldn't need much fabric.  I have been wearing an Ethel Designer Top (Style Arc Patterns) a lot since we got to Key West and the design lines are perfect for mixing and matching.



It's a pretty straight forward project, figuring out which fabric to put where took longer than actually sewing it together!  I  used the selvedge of the water drop fabric to accent the triangle piece of linen at the neckline.  The batik is a really nice weight for this top, the cotton is a bit heavy but I think it will be OK.  Note to self, choose very soft, drapy stuff for the next one.

I didn't have much in the way of scraps when I was finished.  Pretty close to a zero waste project!


When I washed the chambray it turned out really soft, but felt more like shorts than a shirt.  I can't remember the last time I have had a pair of 'denim shorts' ....

I started with my PJ bottom pattern.  The softness of the fabric meant that an elastic waist wouldn't be too bulky, not the usual case with denim shorts.  I made some fun pockets, which are impossible to take photos of...trust me they are adorable!  Back pockets...

Front pockets...


Another pretty straight forward project, although I did struggle to get the length right.  My husband kept rejecting them as "too long."  (He's admittedly a leg man 😏)  I did want a pair of 'shorts' after all.


...And they look great with my fish shirt!  Score!


Now I just relax until my white fabric shows up!

10 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great outfit. Suits you so well. Love all those colours and prints together. Apart from your set being very sportif, it's very chic.
    Vancouver Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is also "cool" which I am finding is really important.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. They were not difficult projects, but a lot of fun and that immediate gratification thing.

      Delete
  3. Another great project and sew. I am looking forward to watching your challenge and to see what fabrics you bought. Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may end up with a white 'stash'...it should be fun.

      Delete
  4. Your new top is absolutely stunning!! I love how you used your fabrics.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I really like it when a combination feels so right.

      Delete
  5. Great new outfit. Most of our snow is gone ya. It was in the 60's today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here..😂 Actually, it has been in the 60"s here this week. Quite lovely.

      Delete